St Leonard's Hospital, Ednam

Grid reference

NT 734 357 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

373400 635700

Latitude

55.614169214725635

Longitude

-2.4223467805092564

County

Roxburghshire

Nearby places

Ednam, parish (0.88 miles)

St Leonard's, settlement Kelso (1.13 miles)

Abbey of St Mary [and St John], Kelso (1.24 miles)

Kelso, parish (1.24 miles)

St James's Green, Roxburgh, Kelso (1.28 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Notes

Twelfth century records indicate that there was once a hospital at Ednam. It may have stood about 1.5km south of the modern village, but no archaeological work has been carried out on the site, and no remains are visible above ground. The hospital was founded before 1178, when a donation from the Countess of Northumberland and Huntingdon was recorded. Later patrons of the hospital included the Edmonstones of Ednam, whose payments to the hospital were recorded in 1426 and 1437. A source dating from 1542 recorded that the English burnt the hospital during an incursion over the border. As records continue to mention it until 1649, the hospital cannot have been completely destroyed until at least the late seventeenth century.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Ednam, parish