St Anne's Chapel, Aberdeen

Grid reference

NJ 940 070 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

394000 807000

Latitude

57.15402050356582

Longitude

-2.0991886232375205

County

Aberdeenshire

Nearby places

Magdalene Croft, Aberdeen (0.12 miles)

St Peter's Hospital, Aberdeen St Nicholas (0.37 miles)

St Peter's Cemetery, Aberdeen (0.38 miles)

St Peter's Chapel, Aberdeen (0.43 miles)

Church of St Nicholas, Aberdeen (0.5 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

James Gordon remarks (circa 1647) that about half way between Aberdeen and Old Aberdeen, on the road called the Gallowgate (portam furcatam) there was a hospital for those suffering from leprosy (elephantiasi laborantibus), and a chapel of St Anne (patroness of that disease among the papists) was added to it by Master Alexander Galloway in 1519 (Geog. Coll. ii, 483).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Old Machar, Old Aberdeen, parish