St Flannan's Chapel, Uig

Grid reference

NA 726 468 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

72600 946800

Latitude

58.28775436942676

Longitude

-7.5882789569262075

Altitude (metres)

70

County

Ross-shire

Nearby places

Flannan Isles, Uig (0.62 miles)

Gob Rubha Phàil, Uig (Lewis) (19.21 miles)

Geodha Mhartainn, Uig (Lewis) (20.33 miles)

Uig, parish (Lewis) (21.49 miles)

St Christopher's Church, Uig (Lewis) (21.57 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

This chapel is marked on Blaeu (Lewis & Harris, 1654) with a kirk/chapel symbol. Mary Miers records 'EILEAN MOR, the main isle, comprises 39 acres and has no sheltered landing place. ... Below the lighthouse, Teampall Beannachadh (blessing house) - the Chapel of St. Flannan - is a drystone-walled structure with a roughly remade vaulted slab roof, a door in its west end. On Maol nam Both, a headland beyond a now fragmentary retaining wall, the Clan Macphail bothies are said to be the remains of two monks' cells, part of a small early Celtic monastic settlement, although for centuries they have been used as shelters by fowlers.' ("Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008, cited by NMRS). In the late seventeenth century it was recorded: '... the Isles of Sant Flannan, lying closs together; wherin there is a cheaple, where Sant Flandan himself live ane heremit' (Geog. Coll. ii, 211). The same source records a miracle performed by the saint to save an egg-thief who had been abandoned there, appearing to him in a dream and telling him to find a burning peat on the altar, to take it and to keep himself warm with it.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Uig, parish (Lewis)

Relationships with other places

Within Flannan Isles, Uig