St John's Chapel, Stranraer

Grid reference

NX 060 608 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

206000 560800

Latitude

54.9040950673883

Longitude

-5.026297818420789

County

Wigtownshire

Nearby places

Stranraer, modern parish (0.09 miles)

St John Street, Stranraer (0.18 miles)

St John's Well, Leswalt (0.28 miles)

Inchmichael, eccles, Inch (2.6 miles)

Inch, parish (2.6 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NMRS records (Canmore ID 60766) that it was built in the fifteenth century for the Adairs of Dunskey and Kinhilt. It is worth noting in the context of this chapel that in 1684 it was recorded that 'They have ... two yearly faires, the one being on the first Fryday of May, and the second being on the last Fryday of August and call'd St Johns fair in harvest'. In the Roman Martyrology 29th August is the feast of the beheading of John the Baptist.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Inch, parish (formerly)

Within Stranraer, modern parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent St John's Well, Leswalt