St Patrick's Chapel, Kilpatrick Closeburn

Grid reference

NX 904 904 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

290400 590400

Latitude

55.195647672082316

Longitude

-3.7219870853091988

Altitude (metres)

75

County

Dumfriesshire

Nearby places

Kirkpatrick, settlement, Closeburn (0.2 miles)

Closeburn, settlement, Closeburn (1.02 miles)

Closeburn, parish (1.18 miles)

Killosbern, eccles., Closeburn (1.18 miles)

Killbride, eccles, Keir (2.25 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The Kirkpatrick family were confirmed in their possession of Closeburn in 1232 by Alexander II. The cult of Patrick attached to this chapel probably arises from their lordship of the parish, though as nothing survives of the building, and in the absence of early references to the chapel, we cannot say when the chapel was established. See NMRS for further details.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Closeburn, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Kirkpatrick, settlement, Closeburn