St Helen's Loch, Selkirk

Grid reference

NT 460 280 (vague location)

Six-figure easting & northing

346000 628000

Latitude

55.54271274641483

Longitude

-2.8558486856526204

County

Selkirkshire

Nearby places

Selkirk Regis, former parish, Selkirk (0.62 miles)

Selkirk (Abbatis), parish (0.65 miles)

St Mungo's Well, Selkirk (0.81 miles)

Ladylands, settlement, Selkirk (0.93 miles)

Philiphaugh, settlement, Selkirk (1.13 miles)

Object Classification

Water

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The existence of this loch somewhere in the parish is attested by RMS ii no. 3206 (1508), where it is granted, along with Philiphaugh (NT4427) and common pasture on Selkirk Common. Note the existence of the settlement of St Helens in this parish, and that there is a loch shown on Ainslie's map of Selkirkshire (1773), east of the burgh of Selkirk, and close to 'Shaws' which is probably the same place as St Helens (earlier Sanct-Helenis-schaw), suggesting that the hollow shown on OS maps at NO5029 is the location of the loch. The burn flowing from this hollow today flows north-west, and flows close to St Helens.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Selkirk (Abbatis), parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent St Helens, settlement, Selkirk