St Ninian's Mill, Linlithgow

Grid reference

NS 987 780 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

298700 678000

Latitude

55.98431286844817

Longitude

-3.623816146688816

Altitude (metres)

30

County

West Lothian

Nearby places

St John's Acre, Linlithgow (0.65 miles)

Mount Michael, Linlithgow (0.77 miles)

Bo'ness & Carriden, modern parish (1.02 miles)

Linlithgow, parish (1.05 miles)

St Michael's Church, Linlithgow (1.05 miles)

Object Classification

Other
mill

Settlement

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

It is shown on both Adair's map of West Lothian and on Roy's map lying immediately to the east of Little Mill. Both mills stand beside the burn that carries water from the loch at Linlithgow into the River Avon. Little Mill still survives, but there is no trace of St Ninian's Mill. In 1795 the minister reported that there was a chapel dedicated to St Ninian at the west port of Linlithgow (OSA xiv, 569). It is possible that this mill was in some way connected to the chapel.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Linlithgow, parish