Kilbirnie, settlement, Greenock

Grid reference

NS 290 750 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

229000 675000

Latitude

55.9376232426424

Longitude

-4.73804467864982

County

Renfrewshire

Nearby places

St Laurence's Chapel, Greenock (0.67 miles)

Bay of St Laurence, Greenock (0.88 miles)

Greenock, modern parish (1.19 miles)

Kilblain, ~eccles., Greenock (1.32 miles)

Kilblain, settlement, Greenock (1.32 miles)

Object Classification

Settlement

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Location is inferred from Roy's map (circa 1750). It may be tempting to suggest a cill-name lying behind the settlement-name Kilbirnie. In fact it appears to be a name associated with the family of Crawford of Kilbirnie in Ayrshire, who brought the name Kilbirnie with them when they got lands in Greenock and built Easter Greenock Castle. In 1529 the king granted to William Crawfurd various lands, which had been sold to William for £488, for the fermes and lands of 'Kylbyrny, Grenok, Craufurd-Jhone and Munnok' (RMS iii no. 778). The Killbirny marked on Roy's map (1752 x 1755) appears to be in the vicinity of Easter Greenock Castle, the home of the Crawfords of Kilbirnie.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Greenock, modern parish

Within Inverkip, parish (formerly)