St Laurence's Chapel, Greenock

Grid reference

NS 284 759 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

228400 675900

Latitude

55.94548745459841

Longitude

-4.748211799911394

Altitude (metres)

10

County

Renfrewshire

Nearby places

Bay of St Laurence, Greenock (0.26 miles)

Greenock, modern parish (0.53 miles)

Kilbirnie, settlement, Greenock (0.67 miles)

Kilblain, ~eccles., Greenock (0.69 miles)

Kilblain, settlement, Greenock (0.69 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Daniel Weir records that the Bay of St Laurence on which Greenock stands was named after the chapel dedicated to that saint: 'on the site of that house on the corner of Virginia Street ... human bones were found, which proves that a burying ground was attached to it. About 1760 the chapel was in high preservation' (Weir 1829, 6).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Greenock, modern parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Bay of St Laurence, Greenock