St Monan's Chapel, St Monans

Grid reference

NO 523 013 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

352300 701300

Latitude

56.201980239631666

Longitude

-2.768915442048761

Altitude (metres)

10

County

Fife

Nearby places

St Monan's Cell, St Monans (0.06 miles)

St Monans, parish, formerly Abercrombie (0.09 miles)

Mary Magdalen's Well, Pittenweem (1.14 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, Pittenweem (1.75 miles)

St Fillan's Well, Pittenweem (1.77 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The church of St Monan in the parish of Kilconquhar first appears in the record as a chapel, founded in 1362 by David II. At first its patronage belonged to the nuns of North Berwick, but in 1471 the chapel was refounded by James III as a house of Dominican friars (Taylor & Márkus iii, 545; Cowan 1967, 178).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kilconquhar, parish (formerly)

Within St Monans, parish, formerly Abercrombie