St Inan's Church, Parton

Grid reference

NX 697 698 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

269700 569800

Latitude

55.005608542160566

Longitude

-4.037566975777002

Altitude (metres)

50

County

Kirkcudbrightshire

Nearby places

Parton, parish (0 miles)

Balmaghie, parish, BMG, aka Kirkandrews (2.67 miles)

St Andrews Church, Kirkandrews, Balmaghie (2.67 miles)

Crossmichael, settlement, Crossmichael (2.68 miles)

Crossmichael, parish (2.68 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The name only appears on very recent OS maps (though not OS 6" 1st or 2nd edn). Canmore / NMRS, which designates the medieval ruined church by this name, states that "The church of Parton was dedicated to St Inan, and was known as Kilennan." (citing RCAHMS 1914; H Scott 1917; E M H M'Kerlie 1916). However, the evidence for this is unclear. George Chalmers claimed, in 1824, in his CALEDONIA, that ""The ancient church of this parish was called Kirk-ennan, from Saint Inan, to whom it was dedicated; and stood a mile east north-east of the present church, near a hamlet, which still bears its name." (vol. 3, p318)" At a guess he perhaps refers here to the farm name Kirkinna (NX711708), which may or may not contain the element kirk-. It appears as Kirkkennan in Thomson's map of 1832, which post-dates Chalmers; it is Carkinna on Roy. Chalmers' claim may underlie all the others (note: there is no record of the Kilennan cited by Canmore/NMRS, and this looks like a mistake). The whole basis for the name "St Inan's Church" is, however, very tenous.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Parton, parish