St Ninian's Chapel, St Ninians or Stirling

Grid reference

NS 796 930 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

279600 693000

Latitude

56.11461049055668

Longitude

-3.9365437930025813

County

Stirlingshire

Nearby places

St Ninian's Well, Stirling (0 miles)

St Michael's Hill, Stirling (0.35 miles)

Tibirmasko, ~well, St Ninians or Stirling (0.37 miles)

St Mary's Land, Stirling (0.37 miles)

St James Hospital, Stirling (0.37 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The advowson of the chapel is granted to James Sandilands in 1489, together with the lands of Bannockburn (Bannokburn), which are in St Ninians parish. This suggests that the chapel lay in this parish too, at the north end, where it approaches the burgh of Stirling. Canmore suggests that the chapel is close to the site of the former 'St Ninian's Well'. Also records during a plague in 1645, "and the burial of those that dyes of the plaige to be at the Chapel Well". This suggests that the chapel and the well were close together. The NGR given reflects this assumption.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within St Ninians, parish aka Eccles/Kirkton STL

Within Stirling, parish