St Ninian's Well, Stirling

Grid reference

NS 796 930 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

279600 693000

Latitude

56.11461049055668

Longitude

-3.9365437930025813

County

Stirlingshire

Nearby places

St Ninian's Chapel, St Ninians or Stirling (0 miles)

St Michael's Hill, Stirling (0.35 miles)

Tibirmasko, ~well, St Ninians or Stirling (0.37 miles)

St Mary's Land, Stirling (0.37 miles)

St James Hospital, Stirling (0.37 miles)

Object Classification

Water

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The site is shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn, close to the parish boundary with St Ninians parish, and also close to a detached part of St Ninians within Stirling parish. It lies beside a place marked 'Washing Ho', perhaps suggesting a nineteenth-century use for the water of the well. It probably underlies the name of Wellgreen, whence modern OS map Wellgreen Place, Wellgreen Roundabout, adjacent to the well. NSA (Stirling, 394-5) tell us, '... on the very verge of the parish toward St Ninians, that of the well called St Ninian's Well, on account of its having been dedicated to that saint. It is celebrated for its copiousness and purity. It is a hardish water, but of low specific gravity, and much used for washing.' If this was, as seems likely, the same well as Chapel Well, this is a place of burial of plague victims in 1645 as recorded in Canmore: "and the burial of those that dyes of the plaige to be at the Chapel Well".

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Stirling, parish