Penpont, parish DMF

Grid reference

NX 848 944 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

284800 594400

Latitude

55.230303889956296

Longitude

-3.811555502403363

Nearby places

Penfillan, settlement, Keir (0.92 miles)

Keir, modern parish (1.06 miles)

St Patrick's Well, Morton (1.52 miles)

St Michael's Church, Dalgarnock, Closeburn (1.74 miles)

Dalgarnock, former parish, Closeburn (1.74 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The modern kirk appears to stand on the site of the medieval one: two 11/12th century interlace stones and part of a cross-shaft found in the kirkyard are now in Dumfries Museum (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains Michael's Craig, Penpont

Parish TLA

PEN

County

Dumfriesshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Annexed to Holywood by 1469, the vicarage normally served by one of the canons (Cowan 1967, 163).