St Fionnlugh's Chapel, Gigha & Cara (Cara)

Grid reference

NR 640 443 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

164000 644300

Latitude

55.634855505085014

Longitude

-5.750069659085859

County

Argyllshire

Nearby places

Kilchattan, settlement, Gigha GCA (2.3 miles)

St Cathan's Well, Gigha & Cara (2.3 miles)

St Cathan's Church/Kilchattan, Gigha GCA (2.3 miles)

Gigha & Cara, parish (2.3 miles)

Killean & Kilchenzie, modern par. (Kintyre) (2.97 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Notes

NMRS (Canmore ID 38592) describes a roofless late medieval chapel with N, W and E walls tolerably well preserved. A cross-decorated stone was found here (Fisher 2001, 117 and 39 (f)). The island and its chapel, but not its dedication, is mentioned by Dean Monro in 1549 (Monro, Description, 488): 'Upon the northwest coist of Kyntyre, be four myle of sea to the same, lyes ane little iygle with a chapel in it callit Caray...' It is also mentioned circa 1630 as: 'a litle Illand scarce half a myll in length full of Coneyes, and a litle Chappell in it belonging to Icolmkill (Iona)' (Geog. Coll. ii, 188).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Gigha & Cara, parish