St Oswald's Chapel, Avondale

Grid reference

NS 726 419 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

272600 641900

Latitude

55.65390449776671

Longitude

-4.025013227380675

Altitude (metres)

210

County

Lanarkshire

Nearby places

St Oswald's Well, Avondale (0.06 miles)

St Lawrence's Chapel, Stonehouse (1.64 miles)

St Laurence's Well (possible), Stonehouse (1.69 miles)

St Brides, settlement, Avondale (1.77 miles)

St Anne's Well, Avondale (2.06 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

It is not absolutely certain that this site is a chapel site of St Oswald's but the proximity of St Oswald's Well, the fact that the farm now here is called Chapel (shown on Pont MS no. 34 as Chapel, 1583 x 1596), and the records of a medieval chapel of St Oswald belonging to Kelso Abbey are strongly suggestive. The chapel was dependent on Lesmahagow Priory (Chartulary of Kelso Abbey). The presence of a chapel is supported by the NMRS record in 1966 of a font being dug up 'recently' at Chapel Farm.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Avondale, parish, aka Strathaven

Relationships with other places

Adjacent St Oswald's Well, Avondale