St Leonard's Chapel, Torrance, East Kilbride

Grid reference

NS 653 534 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

265300 653400

Latitude

55.75520465099341

Longitude

-4.146613422994493

County

Lanarkshire

Nearby places

Torrance, former parish, East Kilbride (0 miles)

Kilbride, St Bride's Church, East Kilbride (1.31 miles)

Kilbride, settlement East Kilbride (2.28 miles)

Mungo's Well, East Kilbride (2.5 miles)

Blantyre, parish (2.51 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Other
hospital

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

On the west bank of the Rotten Calder, which here forms eastern boundary of the parish. Cowan 1967, 198: A hospital with an associated church founded here before 1296, designated as a 'hospital or chapel without chure' in 1439, when it lay in East Kilbride, but appears as parochial in 1532. NSA (1845) states that it fell into ruins after 1589 and long before the end of the 18th century, it had been totally demolished. NMRS reports that the site is marked by a level platform of ground, but no worked stones or other remains were found (1954).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within East Kilbride, parish

Within Torrance, former parish, East Kilbride (formerly)