Kilbrannan, eccles. Saddell & Skipness

Grid reference

NR 910 575 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

191000 657500

Latitude

55.76562639983957

Longitude

-5.331968970908748

Altitude (metres)

5

County

Argyllshire

Nearby places

St Columba's Chapel, Saddell & Skipness (0.18 miles)

Carn Chaluim, Saddell & Skipness (3.24 miles)

Cille Bhride, eccles. Kilcalmonell (5.89 miles)

Kilbride Bay, Kilfinan (6.3 miles)

Cladh Mhicheil, burial ground Kilalmonell (6.93 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The building is late thirteenth or early fourteenth century close to Skipness Castle. There are late medieval recumbent tombstones here, and a number of pre-reformation slabs (NMRS). It was a dependency of the parish kirk of Kilcalmonell, Kintyre (Paisley Reg, 124). There was a Chapel of St Columba beside Skipness Castle in 1261 (Paisley Reg. 120-21), and this chapel of St Brendan nearby was probably built to replace it by the Stewarts when they obtained the castle in 1262.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Saddell & Skipness, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent St Columba's Chapel, Saddell & Skipness