Pencaitland, parish

Grid reference

NT 443 690 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

344300 669000

Latitude

55.91090967552581

Longitude

-2.8911398435794164

Nearby places

St John's Chapel, Herdmanston, Saltoun (1.8 miles)

Gladsmuir, modern parish (1.88 miles)

St Michael's Church, Saltoun (2.06 miles)

Saltoun, parish (2.06 miles)

Ormiston, parish (2.19 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for the medieval parish kirk, dating from 12th and 13th centuries, with chancel and nave. See NMRS for further description.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Parish details

Pencaitland

Parish TLA

PCL

County

East Lothian

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

Granted to Kelso Abbey by Edward de Pencaitland c.1180, the church was confirmed to the uses of the abbey by Roger bp. of St Andrews 1188x1200 (Kelso Lib. nos. 13, 83, 369). The gift was ineffective, however, and a fresh grant was made by John de Maxwell of P. and Sir John de Maxwell of Maxwell was confirmed to the uses of Dryburgh in 1344 by W. bp. of St A. The parsonage thereafter remained annexed, while the vicarage appears to have been occasionally served by canons from the abbey (Dryburgh Liber app. nos. iii-vi; GRH Supp. Chrs. 23 Jan. 1343/4; Prot. Bk. Corbet no.60; Ass. 193). Cowan 1967, 162.