St Bride's Chapel, Kilbarchan

Grid reference

NS 380 600 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

238000 660000

Latitude

55.80608837137577

Longitude

-4.5851407159736155

County

Renfrewshire

Nearby places

St Bride's Burn, Lochwinnoch/Kilbarchan (0.06 miles)

Bride's Mill, Lochwinnoch (0.53 miles)

St Brydes, Kilbarchan (0.55 miles)

Johnshill, settlement Lochwinoch (1.61 miles)

Lochwinnoch, parish (1.65 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

See NMRS for historical notes. No remains survive, though part seems to have been occupied in 1709. Pont MS no. 33 (Renfrewshire) shows 'Chapel' at about this spot. In 1504 lands are recorded as belonging to the chapel of St Brigid in the parish of Lochwinnoch. If it is the lands which are located in Lochwinnoch, the chapel may be in Kilbarchan. But it may be that the charter's reference to the parish of Lochwinnoch refers to the chapel rather than its lands, in which case the chapel must be located on the west side of St Bride's Burn, which is the parish boundary.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kilbarchan, parish

Within Kilbarchan, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Bride's Mill, Lochwinnoch

Adjacent St Bride's Burn, Lochwinnoch/Kilbarchan

Adjacent St Brydes, Kilbarchan