Kilmory, eccles. (Kilmory Knap), South Knapdale

Grid reference

NR 702 751 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

170200 675100

Latitude

55.91402907271929

Longitude

-5.677730855197341

Altitude (metres)

35

County

Argyllshire

Nearby places

Kilmory, settlement South Knapdale (0 miles)

Kilmory Burn, South Knapdale (0.42 miles)

Kilmory Bay, South Knapdale (0.53 miles)

St Cormac's Chapel, Eilean M. South Knapdale (2.23 miles)

Eilean Mòr (maccu Cormaic), South Knapdale (2.23 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

There is a medieval chapel in a burial ground, re-roofed in 1934 to house a collection of early and late medieval stones (NMRS). The chapel gives its name to the surrounding township of Kilmory, and to the Kilmory Burn and Kilmory Bay. The pronuncation of the name Kilmory, with stress on the second syllable, suggests that the dedication is to Mary, the BVM, rather than (as is sometimes suggested) to Maelrubha. In dedications to the latter saint, the stress is on the final syllable, as in Amulree, Loch Maree etc.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within South Knapdale, modern parish