Sydserf, settlement North Berwick

Grid reference

NT 541 817 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

354100 681700

Latitude

56.02605437917716

Longitude

-2.7365310231571485

Altitude (metres)

60

County

East Lothian

Nearby places

Kilmurdie, Dirleton (1.12 miles)

St Catherine's Chapel, Dirleton (2.08 miles)

St Andrew's Church, (later) North Berwick (2.3 miles)

St Andrew's Well, North Berwick (2.32 miles)

North Berwick, parish (2.47 miles)

Object Classification

Settlement

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The NGR is for Sydserf House, the seat of the Sydserf family since the fourteenth century, though the present building on the site shows no evidence of anything earlier than the seventeenth century. A short distance to the west a settlement called Chapel stands (OS map). This may be the 'Chapelside' referred to in the charter of 1537: Rex confirmavit Johanni Sideserf .... terras de Nethir-Sideserf et Chapelside, ... (RMS iii no. 1713). This Chapel is on the very boundary of the parish.

Relationships with other parishes

Within North Berwick, parish