Kilmaluag, eccles. Harris (Pabbay)

Grid reference

NF 889 869 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

88900 886900

Latitude

57.763790754967026

Longitude

-7.232399488735508

Altitude (metres)

10

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

Creag Thuiristein, Harris (Pabbay) (0.31 miles)

Cill Aiseam, Harris (Berneray) (3.6 miles)

Àird Ma-Ruibhe, Harris (Berneray) (4.14 miles)

Cladh Maolruibhe, Harris (Berneray) (4.14 miles)

St Luke's Chapel, Harris (Harris) (5.71 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Notes

An 'early cross or sculptured stone' is recorded in 1935 as having been found here, but its whereabouts is now unknown. Some remains of the eastern gable and northern wall survive (NMRS). Canmore ID: 10381. This chapel lies a few yards west of Teampull Mhuire. Martin Martin in noted during his tour of c.1695 that there were two chapels on Pabbay, one dedicated to Mary (Teampull Mhuire) and one dedicated to Moluag. This one, now called Teampull Beag, must be the chapel of St Moluag, called Kilmaluag by Simpson in 1935 (as cited by NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Harris, parish

Within Harris, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Creag Thuiristein, Harris (Pabbay)

Adjacent Teampull Mhoire, Harris (Pabbay)