St Catherine's Chapel, Shotts

Grid reference

NS 843 629 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

284300 662900

Latitude

55.84544193948407

Longitude

-3.8480534520820897

Altitude (metres)

260

County

Lanarkshire

Nearby places

Shotts, modern parish (0 miles)

Kate's Well, Shotts (0.14 miles)

Tipperdavie, well Shotts (1.89 miles)

Ladylands, Shotts (2.28 miles)

Petersburn, settlement, New Monkland (4.44 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

It was founded as a chapel in 1450 by James Hamilton, later becoming parish kirk of Shotts. A hospital for the poor was alos built here (NMRS, q.v. for further discussion). Session Records for this parish record a 'Kate's Fair', which was held in the 'Fair Ground' which is shown west of the kirk and south of Kate's Well on OS 1:2,500 (1864).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Bothwell, parish (formerly)

Within Shotts, modern parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Kate's Well, Shotts