St Michael's Chapel, eccl., Luss

Grid reference

NS 336 941 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

233600 694100

Latitude

56.11067773124543

Longitude

-4.67632162198337

County

Dunbartonshire

Nearby places

St Kessog's Church, Luss (1.75 miles)

Luss, parish (1.75 miles)

Carn Ma-Cheasoig, Luss (2.89 miles)

Rowardennan, relief Buchanan (2.92 miles)

Inchmoan, Luss (3.25 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Notes

The remains of this chapel, un-named on OS maps, lies in Glen Luss on the minor road between Luss and Edentaggart. NMRS report that it is allegedly of sixteenth-century or Pre-Reformation date and that three coins of James IV of Scotland were found in the corner of the walls. Canmore ID 42549. Donald MacLeod reports the following in 1891: 'In the Glen of Luss, near Glenmollachan, an earth-covered ruin was long popularly known as 'The Chapel'. On breaking into it some years ago, for stones with which to build a farm steading in the neighbourhood, an arched vault, with narrow lancet openings, was discovered, and within were found a font, cross, and other ecclesiastical garniture. The late Sir James Colquhoun, with commendable veneration, enclosed the site of the ancient 'Chapel' of St. Michael's, of date end of 16th century, with an iron railing.' A memorial stone in Latin and Gaelic was placed on the site, translated by MacLeod as follows: 'St Michael's Chapel. James, Laird of Colquhoun and Luss, caused this monument to be erected to the memory of a bye-gone piety, and of those psalms formerly sung to the honour of God (in this place), now, alas, completely dilapidated.' MacLeod 1891, 205.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Luss, parish