St Kessog's Church, Callander

Grid reference

NN 626 079 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

262600 707900

Latitude

56.24380705503582

Longitude

-4.2174631911368525

Nearby places

Tom ma Chisaig, Callander (0.06 miles)

Callander, parish (0.06 miles)

Leny, former parish, Callander (0.36 miles)

Kilmahog, former parish, Callander (0.95 miles)

Kilmahog, settlement, Kilmahog, Callander (0.95 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The NGR given is for the graveyard beside Tom ma Chisaig, which according to NMRS is the site of Callander Old Parish Church. Although we have no references to this church's dedication, we have inferred it from the name of the hill beside the site of the former parish kirk, Tom ma Chisaig, and the fact that there was a fair here called Feill Mo Chessaig (NSA Feill-ma-Chessaig) in the early nineteenth century. There is also the fact that the later parish church of Callander (built in 1784, no longer functioning as a church) is called St Kessog's Church today.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Callander, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Tom ma Chisaig, Callander