St Andrews Well, well, Kemback

Grid reference

NO 437 145 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

343700 714500

Latitude

56.31963278263433

Longitude

-2.9103389113434917

Altitude (metres)

145

County

Fife

Nearby places

St Andrews Wells, settlement Kemback (0 miles)

Kemback, parish (1.29 miles)

St Mary's Church, Dairsie (1.74 miles)

Dairsie, parish FIF (1.74 miles)

Ceres, parish (2.93 miles)

Object Classification

Water

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The well or wells, after which the settlement of St Andrews Wells KMB is named, lay beside the boundary between the parishes of Kemback and St Andrews until 1621. That part of St Andrews was then absorbed into Ceres parish. The well(s) lay on the medieval road to St Andrews, and would have marked the spot where pilgrims and other travellers entered the immedidate lands of St Andrew. It is also close to the high point on the medieval road from which pilgrims would catch their first sight of their destination. Taylor with Márkus ii, 203-4.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kemback, parish