St Andrews Church, Longforgan

Grid reference

NO 309 299 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

330900 729900

Latitude

56.45628489101724

Longitude

-3.1213252917130503

Altitude (metres)

45

County

Perthshire

Nearby places

Longforgan, parish (0 miles)

Carmichael, settlement Longforgan (0.96 miles)

Rossie(clerach), former parish, Inchture (1.28 miles)

Rossie(clerach) Church, now in Inchture (1.28 miles)

Ladyfield, Liff & Benvie (1.52 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NMRS records (citing Hutcheson, A (1904a) 'Notes on the Parish Church of Longforgan, Perthshire, and its recent restoration', Trans Scot Eccles Soc, vol.1, 1 Page(s): 64-71) suggest that the church was dedicated to Modwenna, and this twentieth-century notion presumably underlies the fact that OS Digimap names the building beside the church as 'Modwenna'. But it is clear that it was dedicated to St Andrew in 1156. We cannot exclude the possibility that it was one of those churches with two dedications, an earlier one to a native saint and a later one to a biblical saint. But without evidence earlier than 1906 for the proposed dedication to Modwenna we should treat the proposal with caution.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Longforgan, parish