St Mary's Episcopal Church, Kirriemuir

Grid reference

NO 383 543 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

338300 754300

Latitude

56.67650981320207

Longitude

-3.007070876573804

Altitude (metres)

130

County

Angus

Nearby places

St Colmoc's Chapel, Kirriemuir (0.26 miles)

Mary Well, Kirriemuir (0.31 miles)

Kirriemuir, parish (0.31 miles)

St Mary's Church, (m'eval) Kirriemuir (0.31 miles)

Balbrydie, settlement, Kirriemuir (0.89 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Scottish Church Heritage Research: This large town church was built towards the outskirts of Kirriemuir in 1904, replacing a classical church of 1797 that was destroyed by fire. St Mary’s is built in roughly coursed red sandstone rubble in an Arts and Crafts style. It is the only complete church in Scotland designed by Sir Ninian Comper, whose father was an Episcopal clergyman in Aberdeen. The church consists of a low, squat, square tower, nave, entrance porch with stair tower and chancel. OS 6 inch 1st edn shows St Mary's School next to the church/chapel.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kirriemuir, parish