Ringan's Dean, Bowden

Grid reference

NT 536 302 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

353600 630200

Latitude

55.563263183411195

Longitude

-2.7357771771256005

Altitude (metres)

600

County

Roxburghshire

Nearby places

Bowden, parish (1.12 miles)

St Mary's Well, Melrose (2.02 miles)

St Dunstan's Well, Melrose (2.34 miles)

St William's Well, Melrose (2.41 miles)

St Dunstan's, settlement Melrose (2.42 miles)

Object Classification

Relief

Is linear feature?

Yes

Notes

The dean itself is a narrow den that joins the Holy Dean / Holydean Burn at Holydean Castle (see NMRS record for the castle). OS 6" 1st edn records a "Chapel and Graveyard (site of)" nearby. NMRS cites OS Name Book (1859) to the effect that this is 'The site of a chapel and graveyard, formerly in connection with Holydean Castle, but no structural remains were recorded in 1956 (NMRS). ** Fasti, ii, 171 asserts confidently and erroneously: "At Holydean, also called Ringan's Dean, there was a chapel of St Ninian".

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Bowden, parish