St Maol-luag's Chapel, Portree (Raasay)

Grid reference

NG 548 366 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

154800 836600

Latitude

57.35394780316256

Longitude

-6.0769556997139915

Altitude (metres)

30

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

Raasay, former parish, (aka Kilmaluoc) Portree (0 miles)

St Columba's Chapel, Portree (Skye) (5.18 miles)

Eilean Chaluim-chille, Portree (Skye) (5.22 miles)

Loch Columkille, Portree (Skye) (5.56 miles)

Portree, modern parish (Skye) (5.92 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Monro in 1549 called this kirk 'ane paroche kirk callit Killmolowocke' (Description, 505), and around 1630 it was referred to at 'one paroch kirk Kilmoluag' (Geog. Coll. ii, 532). See NMRS for description of the site, fragments of medieval sculpture, remains of thirteenth-century parish church. The boundaries of Kilmoluag's burial sanctuary were once marked out by carved stone crosses, one of which has now been relocated to the roadside, just west of the mansion (Mary Miers, 2007). Johnson reports that 'It is told by Martin, that at the death of the Lady of the Island, it has been here the custom to erect a cross. This we found not to be true. The stones that stand about the chapel at a small distance, some of which perhaps have crosses cut upon them, are belived to have been not funeral monuments, but the ancient boundaries of the sanctuary or consecrated ground' (Johnson's Journey, 64).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Portree, modern parish (Skye)

Within Raasay, former parish, (aka Kilmaluoc) Portree