Cill Challuim Chille, eccl. KKM (Islay)

Grid reference

NR 414 686 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

141400 668600





Altitude (metres)




Nearby places

Cill Eileagain, eccles. KKM (Islay) (0.89 miles)

Cill Sleabhan, eccl. KKM (Islay) (0.92 miles)

Kilslevan, settlement KKM (Islay) (0.98 miles)

Finlaggan, settlement, Killarrow & Kilmeny (Islay) (1.3 miles)

Eilean Eileagain, KKM (Islay) (1.64 miles)

Object Classification



Is linear feature?



Nearby place-names: the settlement of Keills, Tobar an t-Sagairt (NR423684). NMRS records: This chapel stands within its burial-ground immediately to the N of the village of Kiells. The building measures 7.6m from E to W by 3.9m transversely within walls up to 0.9m in thickness. The N wall stands almost to its original height, but the remaining walls now rise only to an average height of 1.5m. The masonry is of local random rubble with quoins of the same material, but there is some evidence to suggest that the doorway and window margins, now almost entirely removed, were composed of buff-coloured sandstone. The entrance was situated towards the W end of the S wall, and the to each other towards the E end of the building. The burial-ground is enclosed by a wall of comparatively recent date. The chapel, which was dedicated to St Columbia (Gaelic, Calum Cille), appears to be of late medieval date. Presentations to the chaplainry, then held jointly with that of the nearby chapel on Eilean Mor, Finlaggan (RCAHMS 1984, No. 404), and recorded in 1503 and 1542. At that period the patronage ol both chapels belonged to the Crown as successor to the MacDonald Lords of the Isles. The lands belonging to St Columba's Chapel, namely Knocklearoch (Knokclerich) and Balleoschane, are mentioned in crown rentals of 1507 and 1509. (Registrum Secreti Sigilli Regum Scotorum 1908-) The settlement of Kilchoimkill, but not the chapel, is indicated on Pont's map, but it is included in Martin's late 17th-century list of Islay churches. (Blaeu's Atlas, Western Islands) The following monuments are in the burial-ground. A free standing cross of late medieval date (No. 358) stands about 300m ENE of the chapel, probably in its original position. Medieval: (1) Tapered slab bordered by triple plain mouldings 2.02m long by 0.52m wide at the head. At the top there has been a narrow panel for an inscription, now completely obliterated; in its place is a later inscription, DME 1703. Below the panel is a galley with furled sail, and then a single-hand sword with lobated pommel and inclined quillons, flanked on each side by two intertwined plant-stems linked at the to a pair of opposed animals. At the foot of the slab is a casket and a pair of shears (Glasgow Art Gallery and Museum cast no.182; Steer and Bannerman; Graham).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Killarrow & Kilmeny, parish (Islay)