Nave Island, Kilchoman (Islay)

Grid reference

NR 287 758 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

128700 675800

Latitude

55.89871206275177

Longitude

-6.340622602491634

Altitude (metres)

23

County

Argyllshire

Nearby places

Ardnave, settlement Kilchoman (Islay) (1.76 miles)

Cill Naoimh, eccles. Kilchoman (Islay) (2.67 miles)

Kilnave, settlement, Kilchoman (Islay) (2.73 miles)

Cill an Ailein, eccl. KKM (Islay) (2.74 miles)

Killinallan, settlement KKM (Islay) (2.89 miles)

Object Classification

Island

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

A chapel on this island was disused and ruinous by 1785, when the walls were repaired. A burial ground adjoins it to the west. A small rocky knoll to the north is called Càrn a’ Mhanaich 'the monk's cairn'. The chapel dates to the first half of the thirteenth century. The enclosure of the chapel may be of early Christian date (NMRS). An Early Medieval cross-fragment survives from the island (Fisher 2001, 46 and 140). Reports of this as of 'fifth-century date' (see NMRS) are highly implausible. By the early sixteenth century Nave Island and the estate of Ardnave belonged to Iona Abbey, but when the abbey acquired them is not known.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Kilchoman, parish (Islay)

Within Kilchoman, parish (Islay)