Clachan Comair, Kiltarlity & Convinth

Grid reference

NH 334 306 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

233400 830600

Latitude

57.335633593900006

Longitude

-4.768162374096561

Altitude (metres)

65

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

Comar, former parish, Kiltarlity & Convinth (0 miles)

Sputan Bhàin, Kiltarlity & Convinth (0.06 miles)

Kilbaddy, settlement, Kiltarlity & Convinth (0.45 miles)

Our Lady and St Bean's Chapel, Kilmorack (0.81 miles)

Cladh Churadáin, eccles. Urquhart & Glenmoriston (2.63 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Near the south bank of the R. Glass, the march of this parish with Kilmorack. This is the old ruined kirk and burial ground of Comar, now called Clachan Comair. The name Kilbeathan is attested by the website of the local Catholic parish, Our Lady and St Bean, Marydale (http://www.fourparishes.org/-history.html), and it is the origin of the settlement-name recorded in the sixteenth century as Kilbaddy (RMS ii no. 3730). Two basin-shaped blocks were found in the kirkyard, known locally as 'St Bean's Holy Water Stones' (Mackinlay 1914, 73, citing Jolly, 'On Cup-Marked Stones in the Neighbourhood of Inverness', PSAS 16 (1882) 383. Local people gather on 26 October to visit the spring, Sputan Bhain, and the ruined chapel, this date being the feast of Beanus as culted in the Aberdeen Breviary. But no evidence has yet appeared of this being a traditional devotion. NMRS records: The old clachan or chapel of Fasnakyle is situated 'nearly opposite Invercannish, 7 1/2 miles from Struy'. The area of the enclosure, with a small space around it, is occupied by the graves of the inhabitants of the glen. G Anderson and P Anderson 1863 At NH 3347 3069 are the ruins of a Roman Catholic chapel with associated graveyard, still used. The chapel measures internally 11.4m NE-SW by 5.7m NW-SE over walls 0.8m thick and 1.8m high with a door in the SE wall. The walls are of large roughly faced stones pinned with smaller stones and bonded with lime mortar. There are several graves within the chapel and a stoup lies near the chapel doorway. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 October 1966. The site is known locally as Clachan Comair and is shown on the basic scale Ordnance Survey 1:2500 scale digital maps as the 'Clachan Comair' [NAT], 'burial ground' [NAT], 'Chapel' (NR) (remains of) (NAT). Information from RCAHMS (DE), April 2005.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Comar, former parish, Kiltarlity & Convinth (formerly)

Within Convinth, former parish, Kiltarlity and C. (formerly)

Within Kiltarlity and Convinth, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Sputan Bhàin, Kiltarlity & Convinth