St James's Church, Garvock

Grid reference

NO 744 704 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

374400 770400

Latitude

56.824529081240236

Longitude

-2.4194840123122208

Altitude (metres)

215

County

Kincardineshire

Nearby places

Garvock, parish (0 miles)

St James's Well, Garvock (0.09 miles)

St James's Lochs, Garvock (0.39 miles)

St James's Burn, Garvock (1.28 miles)

Maryland, settlement St Cyrus (1.69 miles)

Object Classification

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

Groome's Gazetteer for this parish records: "The church (built in 1778) is seated for about 300 people. The churchyard has a few old gravestones; and on the manse offices there is the fragment of one with date 1603. The church was dedicated to St James; and a well in the den near the manse, called St James's Well, had the reputation once of working miraculous cures. St James's Fair, now at Laurencekirk, was long held near the church on Barnhill, where the site may still be traced by the turf seats which did service in the various tents." NMRS records: "The under half of a censer, now in Montrose Museum, was found under the floor of the church when it was being repaired about 1840."

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Garvock, parish