St Mary's Chapel, Arbuthnott

Grid reference

NO 801 746 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

380100 774600

Latitude

56.862542359167286

Longitude

-2.3264134746674916

Altitude (metres)

50

County

Kincardineshire

Nearby places

Kilternan, settlement Arbuthnott (0 miles)

St Ternan's Church, Kilternan, Arbuthnott (0 miles)

Arbuthnott, parish (0.06 miles)

Bervie, parish (2.17 miles)

St Mary's Church, Bervie (2.22 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

The parish church was dedicated to St Ternan, and belonged to the Collegiate Church of St Mary of the Rock, in St Andrews. The Arbuthnott Aisle, built in the 1505, is named St Mary's Chapel because, according the minister of the parish in 1845, 'the lower part, which was arched, was originally dedicated as a chapel to the Virgin Mary' (NSA xi, 159). This explains the presence of two cults at this site. The chancel is thirteenth-century, the nave late medieval, restored in the nineteenth century (NMRS, q.v. for further discussion).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Arbuthnott, parish