St Michael's Chapel (original) Laggan

Grid reference

NN 587 937 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

258700 793700

Latitude

57.012939417003444

Longitude

-4.327301104586637

Altitude (metres)

260

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

St Michael's Chapel (19th cent), Laggan (0.35 miles)

Cladh Chlearnan / Chluanaidh, Laggan (3.35 miles)

Laggan, parish (4.11 miles)

St Kenneth's Church, Laggan (4.11 miles)

Meallach Chaitrìne, Laggan (4.37 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NMRS: An old Catholic chapel and burying ground, now replaced by a later (1845) building on the opposite side of the river (1870). There is no trace of the building now. It was pulled down stone by stone and rebuilt at Pluscarden Priory (1965). For the circular burial ground, containing at least one early medieval carved stone, standing near to the site of this chapel, see G Márkus, ‘St Michael’s Chapel, Bruach Mhór’, Discovery and Excavation in Scotland (2005) 76-7.

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Laggan, parish