St Machar's Cross, Aboyne and Glentanar

Grid reference

NO 503 998 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

350300 799800

Latitude

57.08669116656336

Longitude

-2.8201344280085516

Altitude (metres)

210

County

Aberdeenshire

Nearby places

St Machar's Well, Aboyne & Glentanar (0 miles)

Cathair Mochrieha, Aboyne and Glentanar (0 miles)

Lady Wood, Aboyne & Glentanar (1.28 miles)

Coull, parish (1.71 miles)

Skeulan Tree, Aboyne - Aboyne & Glentannar (1.8 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

This cross and the adjacent well stand on a hillside in a cairnfield (NMRS), the area marked 'Tumuli' on OS 6 inch 1st edn. Immediately to the south is a monument which the OS 6" map calls a 'Pictish Road (remains of)' but which NMRS (citing OS Name Book) describes thus: 'One of a series of short stretches of "road" bounded by stone walls or scattered stones which occur in this area. They have no ditches but some of them lead to small "camps" or sheltering places. (? Field bounds and hut circles.) Name Book 1865.'

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other parishes

Within Aboyne & Glentanar, parish

Relationships with other places

Adjacent Cathair Mochrieha, Aboyne and Glentanar

Adjacent St Machar's Well, Aboyne & Glentanar