St Ninian's Chapel, Urquhart & Glenmoriston

Grid reference

NH 529 301 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

252900 830100

Latitude

57.33785241214694

Longitude

-4.444217708323515

Altitude (metres)

30

County

Inverness-shire

Nearby places

Urquhart, former parish, Urquhart & Glenmoriston (0.94 miles)

Urquhart & Glenmoriston, parish (1.36 miles)

Kilmichael House, Urquhart & Glenmoriston (1.62 miles)

Kilmichael, eccles. Urquhart & Glenmoriston (1.62 miles)

Pitkerrald, Urquhart & Glenmoristone (1.74 miles)

Object Classification

Antiquity

Ecclesiastical

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NMRS records that it was also known as 'An Teampull', and states that a Celtic cross-slab was removed from the site. It was in use until at least 1556, was in ruins in 1763, and the burial ground was referred to as Cill Sanctninian. THere is a rag well nearby and two large ash trees which were 'superstitiously regarded'. There is now no trace of the chapel. In about 1630 it was recorded: '... and certaine hieland men and woemen doeth travell to this chappell at a certane tyme of the zeare expecting to recover there health againe and doeth drink of certaine springand wells that is next to the Chappell' (Geog. Coll. ii, 172).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/