Gavin's Kirk, Halkirk

Grid reference

ND 077 546 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

307700 954600





Altitude (metres)




Nearby places

Torr Phadruig (1.07 miles)

St Peter's Chapel, Halkirk (2.2 miles)

St Trostan's Well, Halkirk (3.05 miles)

St Trostan's Chapel, Halkirk (3.35 miles)

Blàr Mairi, Reay (3.66 miles)

Object Classification



Is linear feature?



From This chapel known as Gavin's Chapel is now a ruin, with only the walls upstanding. The remains of the chancel measures 15' by 15' and the nave is 20' by 18'. It was thought to be used by the Bishop of Caithness, and was apparently a detachment of Thurso parish until 1891. The remains are overgrown with weeds and general weathering and erosion is taking its toll. Researched by G. Watson, compiled by J. Dowling, 21/11/03. Canmore records: 'Gavin's Kirk', also known as 'Temple Gavin', was a chapel which has consisted of a nave and chancel, the former measuring 15 by 12ft and the latter 8 by 7ft. The total length of the interior has been 27ft and the exterior walls were 3 1/2ft thick. T Pennant 1774; RCAHMS 1911. It stands within an enclosed graveyard enlarged before 1872 (when the present wall was erected): at this date the earlier and perhaps coeval wall was still traceable. Name Book 1872. The remains of this chapel are as described above. The collapsed walls now stand to a maximum height of 1.0m and are in an extremely poor condition. The graveyard, also in a poor state of preservation, is known as Dorrery Graveyard.

Relationships with other parishes

Within Halkirk, parish

Within Halkirk, parish