Old Cambus, former parish, Cockburnspath

Grid reference

NT 803 706 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

380300 670600

Latitude

55.928107178815466

Longitude

-2.3153141632028222

Nearby places

St Helen's Church, Old Cambus, Cockburnspath (0 miles)

Cockburnspath, parish (1.81 miles)

St Mary's Collegiate Church, Oldhamstocks (2.41 miles)

St David's Cairn, Coldingham (2.62 miles)

Oldhamstocks, parish (4.09 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for St Helen's Church, remains of twelfth-century building, with eleventh-century hogbacks. There was a leper hospital in Oldcambus in the twelfth or early thirteenth century, not necessarily associated with the parish kirk. See for example RRS ii no. 521 (1212 x 1214) - 'Hospitali de Aldecambus'.

Relationships with other places

Contains St Helen's Church, Old Cambus, Cockburnspath

Parish details

Old Cambus now part of Cockburnspath CBP (Cowan - Aldcambus)

Parish TLA

OCX

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

Cowan (1967, 5): the church was granted 1199 x 1200 to the uses of the monks of Durham; corn teinds assigned to monks at Farne Island who still held the church in 1298, but not in 1357 when revenues were again with Durham. Revenues passed to Coldingham 1368 x 1444.