Oathlaw, parish, aka Finavon

Grid reference

NO 502 566 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

350200 756600

Latitude

56.698591488429216

Longitude

-2.8133085121394017

Nearby places

Aberlemno, parish (1.41 miles)

St Ernan's Church, Tannadice (1.89 miles)

Tannadice, parish (1.89 miles)

St Mary's Well, Oathlaw (2.11 miles)

Careston, modern parish (2.81 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for the medieval church-site at Finavon, supposedly the original parish church. A new building erected at NO476561 in 1815; but it has seventeenth century stones, and it is likely that the parish kirk site shifted from Finavon to here in the seventeenth century. There is also a fifteenth century tombstone in the modern kirk, but this appears to have been brought from the old church site at Aikenhatt/Finavon (NO502566).

Relationships with other places

Contains St Mary's Well, Oathlaw

Parish details

Oathlaw formerly Finaven

Parish TLA

OAT

County

Angus

Medieval diocese

Brechin

Parish notes

Both parsonage and vicarage of the church, now known as Oathlaw, were erected into a prebend of Brechin cathedral by Bp. John Balfour in 1474. The patronage remained with the earls of Crawford, as it did at the Reformation, while a vicar pensioner served the cure (Brech. Reg. i, no.94; RMS v no.884; Ass. 346; etc.) Cowan 1967, 66. In 1380 Sir Alexander Lindsay of Glenesk rebuilt Finavon Church and gave it to Brechin Cathedral. It [a chaplainry?] was consecrated by Bp. Stephen 1383-1404x5 of Brechin and dedicated to St Leonard (Brechin Reg. ii app. 361. 336). No precise record exists as to when Finavon kirk ceased to be the place of worship for the parish. Jervise says that tradition was that Oathlaw was originally a dependent chapel of Finavon, dedicated to Mary, and that the move took place in early 17th c. The earliest proof of the move comes from the date on the old bell of Oathlaw, 1618, which was noted at the parish school of Careston by Jervise. The Pont map of Angus shows no church at Finavon - only a dwelling by the name of Akenhead - but it does show a church near Vthlaw, which must be the new church. Old Finavon kirk located at NO5024 5660. Atkinson & Henry 1997, 5-6.