Funded by a Leverhulme Trust Project Grant
NX 347 463 (accurate position)
Six-figure easting & northing
Longcastle Kirk, Longcastle, WIG (1.92 miles)
Longcastle, former parish, Kirkinner (1.92 miles)
Lady Well, well, Mochrum (2.19 miles)
Airyolland, Mochrum (2.49 miles)
Barwinnock, settlement, Glasserton (2.89 miles)
Parish (extant in 1975)
Is linear feature?
Relationships with other places
Contains Airyolland, Mochrum
Contains Chapel Finian, eccles. Mochrum
Contains Lady Well, well, Mochrum
Contains St John's Well, well, Mochrum
Mochrum now including Longcastle LSX
The parsonage was annexed to the priory of Whithorn at the Reformation, the cure being a perpetual vicarage, although actual annexation may precede 1274, as church does not appear in Bag. (Galloway Chrs. no.2009; Reg. of Pres. ii, 157v. See Cowan 1967, 148 for more details and refs. Note chapel of Barhobble - very interesting excavation report in TDGNHS 1997 [?] - altar with bones built into it. Includes medieval parish of LONGCASTLE LSX.
Names1 head-name linked to this place ?
Certainty that this name applies to this place
The status of this name is
Is this a current OS form? ?
Is this the original referent of the place?
Is the association of this name to this object hypothetical?