Loth, parish

Grid reference

NC 970 113 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

297000 911300

Latitude

58.07905735694642

Longitude

-3.7466770631253046

Nearby places

Kilmote, Loth (0.12 miles)

Cinn Trolla Broch, Loth (3.26 miles)

St Trolla's Chapel, Loth (3.83 miles)

Kintradwell, settlement Loth (3.91 miles)

St Donan's Seat, Kildonan SUT (4.16 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for Loth Parish Kirk, burnt in 1556 and rebuilt in 1626-7 on the same site (NMRS).

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/

Relationships with other places

Contains Cinn Trolla Broch, Loth

Contains Kilmote, Loth

Contains Kilmote, Loth

Contains Kintradwell, settlement Loth

Contains St Trolla's Chapel, Loth

Parish details

Loth

Parish TLA

LOT

County

Sutherland

Medieval diocese

Caithness

Parish notes

The parish of Loth was apparently one of the churches reserved to the episcopal mensa of Caithness by Bishop Gilbert in his constitution of 1224 x 1245, the parsonage teinds pertained to the bishopric at the Reformation, while the cure was evidently a vicarage perpetual (Bannatyne Misc. iii, 18; Sutherland Chrs. cited OPS 2, ii, 731; RSS lxviii, 46). Cowan 1967, 139.