Logie, parish, aka Logie-Airthrie

Grid reference

NS 815 969 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

281500 696900





Nearby places

Ladyneuk, settlement Stirling (1.26 miles)

St Saviour's Church, Logie (1.5 miles)

Cambuskenneth, settlement (1.81 miles)

St Roch's Chapel, Stirling (1.9 miles)

Cambuskenneth, abbey church, CKX, Stirling (1.91 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?



NGR for Logie Old Church now in ruins. There are two hogback stones in the kirkyard.

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Cambuskenneth, former parish, divided


Relationships with other places

Contains St Saviour's Church, Logie

Parish details

Logie or Logie-Airthrie

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

Formerly Logie-Airthrie or Logie-Wallach. The church was confirmed to the nunnery of North Berwick by Simon bp. of Dunblane c.1178, the original grant having been made by Duncan earl of Fife 1154x78. See Cowan 1967, 136 under 'Logie-Atheron'. Cambuskenneth CKX seems to have been divided after the Reformation, but remained in CLA till 1891 (see Stirling STG STL). Reports on the State, 201: that pairt of the Abbay kirk of Cambuskenneth quho in respect of the vicinitie thairof to the kirk of Logie ar thairto annexit.’ Ibid p.206 states that said kirk of Cambuskenneth divided amongst 3 kirks: ‘the toun of the Abbay gois to Stirling kirk, the landis of Cambus gois to Alloway and the rest following cumis to Logie, howbeit thei be not annexit be any parliament.’ The lands are Eistgrange, Vestgrange, Craigtoun, Vnder the Craig, Powhous. Before 1891 the parish of Logie was situated partly in CLA, partly in PER & partly in STL. The CLA part of the parish was in three portions. One was in the detached part of CLA situated at Causewayhead; it has been transferred to STL, while remaining in LOI. This affects the following subjects: Abbey Craig Airthrey (parks & woodlands) Cross Roads, Logie (houses) Craigton (farm & houses) Boroughmeadow (fishings) Broom (farm) Abbey Craig (woodlands) Causewayhead (cottages) Holeheads Powis P. Loan & P. Mains Craigmill (land & house) Manorneuk Wallace Monument Westgrange (farm) More details, Shennan 1892, 276-7. Transferred from PER to STL, while remaining in LOI: Village of Blairlogie Estate of Airthrey - details, see Shennan 1892, 280-1. Summary of changes (ibid. 282-3) A- PARISH CHANGES 1. The Blackgrange district of LOI has been transferred to parish of Alloa ALL. See p.273. 2. The Menstrie district of LOI has been transferred to parish of Alva, see p.274. 3. A small part of LOI situated at Keirfield, west of the railway, has been transferred to parish of Lecropt. See p. 205. 4. So much of the STL portion of Lecropt as lay to the east of the west boundary of railway line has been transferred to LOI. The result is to place the police burgh of Bridge of Allan wholly in the parish of LOI. 5. The small part of the parish of Alloa ALL formerly situated in PER has been transferred to LOI - Gogar Haugh. B COUNTY CHANGES 1. The whole of LOI has been placed in STL (more - see p.283)