Longforgan, parish

Grid reference

NO 309 299 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

330900 729900

Latitude

56.45628489101724

Longitude

-3.1213252917130503

Nearby places

St Andrews Church, Longforgan (0 miles)

Carmichael, settlement Longforgan (0.96 miles)

Rossie(clerach), former parish, Inchture (1.28 miles)

Rossie(clerach) Church, now in Inchture (1.28 miles)

Ladyfield, Liff & Benvie (1.52 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for the modern parish church, built on the site of the medieval one (medieval carving on-site), which was taken down in 1794 (possibly a twelfth-century church) (OSA xix, 480-1).

Relationships with other places

Contains Carmichael, settlement Longforgan

Contains St Andrews Church, Longforgan

Parish details

Longforgan previously Forgan.

Parish TLA

LOF

County

Perthshire

Medieval diocese

St Andrews

Parish notes

Also known as Forgan etc. the church was confirmed to the priory of St Andrews by Pope Innocent III in 1206 and Innocent IV in 1248 (St A. Lib. 72, 103). Bp. David of St A. 1239/40-53) confirmed the church to the uses of the priory, the parsonage alone thus being annexed, although the vicarage appears to have been served by one of the canons. Ibid. 161-2; Woodrow Soc. Misc. i 353: Ass. 18, 20, 299 and verso. Cowan 1967, 138-9. Cowan has obviously wrongly identified several early refs. to Forgan with Forgan FIF. There is some evidence that the manor of Longforgan was a larger unit than simply the shire (and parish) of the same name, incorporating several estates and perhaps churches, such as existed at Scone. In 1239x53 the church of Longforgan is described as a mother church (St A. Lib. 161-2), suggesting that it enjoyed an enhanced status over other churches in its vicinity. There were chapels in LOF at Dron and Monorgan (OSA xi, 414), but their dates of foundation and operation have not been discovered and it may be that they were not the daughter churches of LOF which are implied by the designation mother church. Rogers 1992, 148. Rogers goes on to suggest that these dependent estates were probably Kinnaird, Inchture and Inchmartine (ibid. 151). But why Inchmartine was included in Errol parish remains ‘obscure’. (loc. cit.). From Rogers map (1992, 147), it can be seen that Inchmartine separated Kinnaird from the main body of Inchture parish.