Little Dunkeld, parish

Grid reference

NO 028 422 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

302800 742200





Nearby places

St Jerome's Chapel, Dunkeld (0.22 miles)

St Ninian's Croft, Dunkeld & Dowally (0.31 miles)

St Mary's Church, episc. Little Dunkeld (0.35 miles)

Dunkeld - St Columba, former parish, DDA (0.36 miles)

Church of the Holy Trinity, Dunkeld DDA (0.36 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)


The church is a large rectangular structure dating from 1797. The site of the medieval church may have been to its east, where linear mounds may mark the lines of some of its walls (CORPUS).

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Caputh, parish (formerly)

Contains Dowally, former parish, Dunkeld & Dowally (formerly)

Parish details

Little Dunkeld now containing medieval parish of Lagganallachy (LYX). Up to c. 1500 contained Caputh CAP.

Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

'The parsonage was annexed to the bishopric of Dunkeld by 1505 and so continued, the original annexation apparently preceding Bagimond (1274) in whose roll the church does not appear. Moreover, even the vicarage would appear to have been annexed to the treasurership of Dunkeld by this date, as it was at the Reformation, while the cure was served by a vicar pensioner' (Cowan 1967, 134). ‘The parish then called Litill Dunkeld was large and scattered, sixteen miles in length. it was therefore divided [by Bishop George Broun shortly after 1500]. The old parish church of Litill Dunkeld was allowed to stand [on s. bank of Tay, opposite Dunkeld]; and the bishop set up another at Capeth, where he built and adorned the choir at his own expense. There was a painted reredos: glass was put in the windows: a small vicarage annexed to the bishopric was assigned to the vicar for his support, with the hill (commonly called, hitherto, Mwtehill) on which he set the church, and four acres for glebe ...’ There follows an account of a miracle of St Columba in Caputh during the plague of 1500 (Dunk. Rent. 312-3).... Later the bishop, considering that the population in these parishes had increased, and that in the upper parts of the parish of Capeth Irish was spoken, he therefore built and endowed, in honour of St Anne, a parish church among the woods in his church land of Dowaly, assigning a manse for the priest, as the formal writ fully testifies.’ (Myln, Vitae in Dunk. Rent. 312-3). Contains medieval parish of Lagganallachy (LDK LYX), which is probably co-terminous with the barony of Strathbraan (for which see RMS vi no.1778 and Dunkeld Rentale 348). See also Rogers 1992, 384-5 (including map). Part of Fowlis Wester FOW which lay in the River Bran basin, situated near Amulree, was in 1891 transferred to Little Dunkeld LDK viz. Auchmore (farm - part), Aultmad (house), Dalreoch (farm), Dullator (farm), Little Findowie (farm), Girrion (farm) (Shennan 1892, 212).