Lochcarron, parish

Grid reference

NG 914 412 (assumed location)

Six-figure easting & northing

191400 841200





Nearby places

St Maolrubha's Church, ~eccles. Lochcarron (0 miles)

Clachan Mulruy, Lochcarron (0 miles)

Dalmartin, settlement, Lochcarron (4.19 miles)

St Donan's Chapel, Loch Carron (5.22 miles)

Killilan, eccles., Kintail (7.17 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)


The NGR given is for the church on Loch Carron built in 1751, abandoned c.1845 (when a new kirk was built). The 1751 kirk is at about the site where Pont's map of Wester Ross (circa 1590) shows Heglish L. Carron. And this also corresponds roughly with the description in Geog. Coll. ii, 548 (1644) of 'Clachan Mulruy with a kirk and a toun'.

Parish details


Parish TLA




Medieval diocese


Parish notes

The church, both in parsonage and vicarage, became a common church of the cathedral of Ross shortly after 1256, it being one of the churches of ‘Argyll’ so granted, and thereafter remaining so annexed (Vet. Mon. no.clxxxii; RSS v no.3173). Cowan 1967, 135. The parish of Lochcarron (LCA) had four detached parts, all surrounded by the parish of Applecross (APC). In 1891 the following alterations were made between the two parishes: 1. That part of Applecross which lies east of the River Kishorn and outh of the north march of the Kishorn estate was transferred to Lochcarron. The subjects thus transferred were: [On the Estate of KISHORN]: Achavanie and Glenbeg (part of land); Achdoilach (land); Ardarvoch (house and grounds); Ardoch (house and grounds); Ardoch Hill (land); Ardoch Hill and Dell (farm); Laggan, Copaig (house etc.); Tornapress (farm - part); Kishorn (schoolhouse). [On the Estate of LOCHCARRON]: Achantraid (land, houses & smithy etc.); Glenmore (farm - part); Kishorn Island and Aird (part of Reraig Farm); Rhunasoul (house). All these therefore LCA APC. 2. From LCA to APC: Tullich (farm - part, land and moor). See Shennan 1892, 138-9.