Kirkbuddo, former parish, Inverarity

Grid reference

NO 493 432 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

349300 743200

Latitude

56.57811061878818

Longitude

-2.825372232950086

County

Angus

Nearby places

Kirbuddo, settlement Inverarity (0.51 miles)

Kirkbuddo, settlement, Inverarity (0.57 miles)

Inverarity, parish (2.15 miles)

Meathie-Lour, former parish, Inverarity (2.55 miles)

St Andrew's Well, Monikie (2.75 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (non-extant in 1975)

Is linear feature?

No

Notes

NGR for Kirkbuddo Church on OS maps. ON OS 6" 1st edn it is shown lying in a detached part of Guthrie Parish. It was brought into Guthrie parish initially, but as a detached part of that parish. In 1891 Kirkbuddo (Mansion House, garden and woodlands) was removed from Guthrie into the parish of Inverarity (Shennan 1892, 195).

Relationships with other parishes

Within Guthrie, parish (formerly)

Within Inverarity, parish

Parish details

Kirkbuddo from 1891 part of Inverarity INY; before that part of Guthrie GUT.

Parish TLA

XKB

Medieval diocese

Brechin

Parish notes

Both parsonage and vicarage were erected by Pope Sixtus IV into a prebend of the newly erected collegiate church of Guthrie in 1479, so continuing thereafter, while the cure was evidently pensionary (CPL xiii, 137-9; Ass. 355). Cowan 1967, 118. In 18th c. Kirkbuddo XKB was a detached part of Guthrie parish GUT, and remained so until 1891, when it was made part of Inverarity (Shennan 1892, 195 q.v. for definition of Kirkbuddo).