Kirkintilloch, parish, aka Lenzie

Grid reference

NS 665 731 (accurate position)

Six-figure easting & northing

266500 673100

Latitude

55.93243818765805

Longitude

-4.137192326895947

Nearby places

St Ninian's Church, Kirkintilloch (0 miles)

St Mary's Chapel, Kirkintilloch (0.98 miles)

St Flanan, settlement, Kirkintilloch (1.74 miles)

Antermony, former parish, Campsie (1.83 miles)

Cadder, parish (3.14 miles)

Object Classification

Parish (extant in 1975)

Notes

NGR for St Ninian's Church, the medieval parish kirk, which served the parish until the mid-seventeenth century, when it was replaced by the more central St Mary's Church (now the Auld Kirk Museum). The identity of Lenzie and Kirkintilloch parish is shown in 1437 x 1460 in a charter of Robert Fleming of Biggar: 'in ecclesia parochiali Sancti Niniani de Kyrkyntulach alias de Lenze' (Glas. Reg. no. 365).

Relationships with other parishes

Contains Cumbernauld, modern parish (formerly)

Parish details

Kirkintilloch formerly also called Lenzie

Parish TLA

KTL

County

Dunbartonshire

Medieval diocese

Glasgow

Parish notes

Known also as Lenyie or Lenzie, the church was granted to Cambuskenneth by William son of Thorald, sheriff of Stirling, at the end of 12th c., being confirmed to the abbey by Pope Celestine III in 1195 (Camb. Reg. nos. 25, 132). At beginning of 13th c. this grant was confirmed by William Comyn earl of Buchan, the church being granted to the uses of the abbey by Walter bp. of Glasgow c. 1230. See Cowan 1967, 121 for more refs. and details. It included also the modern parish of Cumbernauld CND. Not mentioned in Shennan 1892.